[dm-crypt] Cryptsetup (>= 1.7.0) luksOpen/luksClose gets stuck after open/close

Guido Trentalancia guido at trentalancia.net
Thu Apr 7 18:55:16 CEST 2016

Hello Milan,

thanks for getting back on this.

On gio, 2016-04-07 at 18:23 +0200, Milan Broz wrote:
> On 04/07/2016 04:26 PM, Guido Trentalancia wrote:
> >
> > Hello.
> >
> > Cryptsetup version 1.7.0 and 1.7.1 gets stuck on luksOpen and
> > luksClose
> > immediately after the device has been opened or closed.
> If it is stuck on semop operation, then it is problem of underlying
> device-mapper library (that uses system semaphores for
> synchronization).
>
> Usually it is caused by a misconfiguration of udev rules (there must
> be udev
> rule calling dmsetup udevcomplete otherwise it ends like in your
> case).
>
> Please check that you have these udev rules installed - they are
> usually part of lvm2/dsmetup subpackage (depends on distro, for
> example in Debian
> it is /lib/udev/rules.d/55-dm.rules).

The udev rules that you mention (containing a call to dmsetup
udevcomplete) are usually installed as:

/usr/lib/udev/rules.d/95-dm-notify.rules

by LVM. However, LVM 2.2.02.148 doesn't seem to install such rule, so
that might be the problem. I am going to check and will let you know
soon...

Regards,

Guido