[dm-crypt] Fuzzing

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Mon Apr 11 20:26:16 CEST 2016

I don't really think so. Fuzzing is good to find non-obscure
bugs and authorization problems. There is no authorization
in cryptsetup because the user executing cryptsetup has
full controll over the code and the machine anyways.

And while cryptsetup surely has some errors left, I think most
of them are either obscure or end up here anyways and get fixed.
If nobody runs into bugs, then they do not matter unless they
are in some software that protects some kind of perimeter.
Cryptsetup does not protect any perimeter.

Just my take on this, others may disagree.

Note that filesystems and more generally datastructures
are very good targets for fuzzing or randomized testing.
I have made excellent experiences with that. But they are
different. If cryptsetup works wrongly, you do not get
an unlocked container. That is blatantly obvious. If a
datastructure or filesystem works wrongly, you get subtle
errors and corruption that you may not notice for a long
time.

Regards,
Arno