[dm-crypt] LUKS1 devmapper device mount issue

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Tue Apr 12 14:20:47 CEST 2016

On 04/10/2016 11:04 PM, Amith Kumar Ramachandra wrote:
> You can see the table does match the cryptsetup one...
>
> #mke2fs /devmapper/data #mount /dev/mapper/data /mnt #mount ....
> .... /dev/mapper/data on /mnt type ext2 (rw,relatime) And device is
> mounted.

This is really strange (cryptsetup is basically just calling the same dm-ioctl in the end),

>>> use new cryptsetup versision (1.7.1)
> I could switch and check I suppose. But here is one more data point
>
> My environment where I run into issue with cryptsetup is on /Yocto
> root file system, /an embedded distribution of Linux. However, when I
> switch to Ubuntu 15.04 RFS(which is an alternate version I also boot
> sometimes) with the same linux kernel, cryptsetup binary and
> libcryptsetup.so as Yocto, the cryptsetup devmapper device mounts
> fine. I then started narrowing down the differences b/w yocto and
> ubuntu in terms of libraries etc... then I found that if I use the
> /systemd /executable in /usr/lib/system/systemd from Ubuntu RFS in
> the Yocto, all yocto mount problems go away. (not sure what systemd
> has got to do with cryptsetup and mount)
>
> If you are still with me, does this tell you anything at all? :)

Looks like a magic :)
Really, no idea - systemd should just process /etc/crypttab devices.
It can be something stupid but without local reproducer it is hard to say...
If it is systemd, checking its log could help here.