[dm-crypt] LUKS is written to a device with no partition table. Is it possible to add a partition table?

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Thu Apr 21 04:54:11 CEST 2016

On 04/20/2016 12:54 PM, Joe Hillenbrand wrote:
> As many of you suggested, since I only have 2.8TiB of actual data, It
> wouldn't hurt to just buy a 3TB drive for this process. It's better to
> just spend the money rather than risk losing my data.
>
> It's not like I won't have a use for it in the future. I even have an
> extra slot in my RAID array, so I can just stick it there.
>
> Turns out this problem just needed counseling rather than technical advice. ;)

If you're going to buy one disk just for 2.8 TiB of data and plan to put
it into your RAID array later, get a drive that matches the drives that
are already in your RAID array (4 TB NAS HDD?).

Checking prices on Amazon for my 8 TB desktop HDD and mobile rack as a
backup device suggestion:

- Seagate desktop HDD 8 TB $320

	http://www.amazon.com/dp/B019OSCLH8

- StarTech mobile rack $65

	http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000E2Y8P

So, $385+ USD for a 8 TB desktop HDD with mobile rack.

Then I discovered that Seagate makes an "Archive" HDD. This may or may
not be the right drive for your application, depending upon your process
and tools:

- Seagate archive HDD 8 TB $215

	http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XS423SC

So, $280+ USD for 8 TB archive HDD with mobile rack.

David