[dm-crypt] [No key available with this passphrase.]

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Wed Aug 10 14:43:39 CEST 2016

Hi Vali,

the first thing is to make a header-backup if you do not alredy
have one. It is too easy to do damage when experimenting in such a
situation. Instructions are in FAQ Item 6.2 here:
https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/wikis/FrequentlyAskedQuestions

That said, cryptsetup should complain on a defective header, so
that does not seem to be it. It could be a defective keyslot though,
or still some other problem with the passphrase entry. Especially
on updates non ISO-7bit (i.e. 7 bit ASCII) chars can cause problems.

In the cryptsetup source package, you find the keyslot-checker
in misc/keyslot_checker/. Install as described in the README and check
your keyslots for obvious problems. Next steps depend on the result.

Regards,
Arno