[dm-crypt] LUKS encrypted hard disk crashed. Recovery question

Saibal Kumar Adhya saibalka at yahoo.co.in
Fri Aug 19 13:45:21 CEST 2016

[saibal] Thanks a lot Michael.
> If you are able to somehow gain access to the key slots in the LUKS
> header, it should be possible to decrypt the (stored) payload data, to
> the extent that the data recovery agency was able to recover the data.
> What they were not able to recover will decrypt to nonsense.

[saibal] I have couple of following question. 1) Is there a way to know, if the key slot area in the LUKS header has been recovered or not? How to recover the entire partition from there?
2) This question is for my information. As I understand, LUKS header and "key-slot" are very very critical. So, if any of these sectors get damaged then the entire partition is un-usable. Is there a backup copy of LUKS header and key slots, kept within the partition itself?
Thanks in advance.
--Regards~Saibal
Saibal Kumar AdhyaDebian user and Linux enthusiast.