[dm-crypt] Restore LUKS partition

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Thu Dec 15 22:37:53 CET 2016

In case the first partition was encrypted, you won't stand a chance in
restoring it, since the first partition starts on sector 2048 (1MByte
from the bstart of the device). For obvious reasons the header would be
gone and certainly some important parts of the FS.

If your encrypted partition was 8,17, as your data suggests, then the
first partition was encrypted and is thus severly damaged. (sdb1)

So, if you do not have a header backup of the drives masterkey at hand,
then this is a goner.

Regards

-Sven