[dm-crypt] The future of disk encryption with LUKS2

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Thu Feb 4 17:34:26 CET 2016

Hi all,

Yes data duplication (a secondary shadow copy of the header) together
with checksumming for integrity checking is of course easier and more
straight forward. I thought about FEC (not necessarily Reeed-S.) as an
alternative that covers both issues without introducing an extra
location of header data. Then again, if the (primary) header is
overwritten completely, FECs won't help you that much.

The problem with an extra header at the end of the device is, that it
makes growing/shrinking a more difficult task. Currently the mapping
always covers the whole size of the backing device.

Regards

-Sven