[dm-crypt] The future of disk encryption with LUKS2

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Thu Feb 4 18:17:53 CET 2016

On Thu, Feb 04, 2016 at 17:29:36 CET, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> On mer., 2016-02-03 at 15:17 +0100, Milan Broz wrote:
> > Anyway, please give me few weeks, I expect the design discussion will happen here
> > (I have a lot of to say why I am trying to do it this way.)
> > I just prefer to discuss existing proof-of-concept code that theoretic discussions.
> >
> > For now, LUKS2 is experiment (partially proof-of-concept of some ideas
> > of configurable keyslots, partially as testbed for my university work
> > as implementing Argon 2 as PBKDF2 replacement etc).
>
> I know it's a recurring subject, and maybe it's more dm-crypt2 than LUKS2 or
> something, but in that context, is there people working on authenticated
> encryption and anti-replay?

Maybe my crypto-knowledge deserts me here, but how is that
relevant for storage encryption?

If somebody can replay old storage blocks, they have already
compromised your machine and can do what they want, unless
you have an unsecured Network Block Device or iSCSI device.
That would already be a problem on a different level.

And authenticated encryption seems to not even apply to storage,
unless you are thinking about integrity. If so, wrong project,
as integrity always requires additional bits and LUKS/DM-cryopt
does not have them bu design.

Regards