[dm-crypt] The future of disk encryption with LUKS2

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Fri Feb 5 16:57:43 CET 2016

On Fri, Feb 05, 2016 at 16:08:28 CET, Robert Nichols wrote:
> On 02/04/2016 11:23 AM, Arno Wagner wrote:
> >On the other hand, resizing a Luks container with a
> >filesystem in there without killing that filesystem is
> >already complicated enough that I usually just recomend
> >a backup and recreation instead of a resize.
>
> Making an already difficult process more complex isn't going to
> win many friends.  Sounds like what you need is a "--resizefs"
> option like the one LVM's lvresize uses to invoke fsadm(8).

And thereby limit what filesystem can be in there? That is
a rather gross layering-violation and not a good idea.

Do not forget that backup and restore need to be tested
and the backup done regularly anyways if the data has any
worth. I an not asking people to do anything new. (Well,
except for those with only throwaway-data in their encrypted
containers....)

Regards,