[dm-crypt] The future of disk encryption with LUKS2

Lars Winterfeld lars.winterfeld at tu-ilmenau.de
Sun Feb 7 01:09:46 CET 2016

On 06.02.2016 20:18, Sven Eschenberg wrote:
> Okay, I see, for simple updates a counter could indeed be sufficient to
> ensure consistency by bringing the header with lower counter in sync
> with the other one.

If one is afraid of, e.g., power loss in the middle of rewriting the
header, there could also be a "changing header" flag that is set to 1
first, then header data is changed, then the flag is reset to 0. If you
later find a flag set to 1, you should restore the other "backup"
header. Maybe this is useful in very rare cases, but also very easy to
implement, so one could still do it?