[dm-crypt] The future of disk encryption with LUKS2

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Mon Feb 8 17:51:24 CET 2016

On Mon, Feb 08, 2016 at 07:09:24 CET, f-dm-c at media.mit.edu wrote:
[...]

> [For example, and to take into account "OMG but what if massive giant
> corruptions and/or mislayered tables at start," have these as defaults:
> (a) FS < 10 meg --> no extra header
> (b) 10 meg < FS < 100 meg --> extra header after 1 meg gap
> (c) 100 meg < FS < 10 gig --> extra header after 10 meg gap
> (d) fs > 10 gig --> extra header after 100 meg gap

That strikes me as an exceedingly bad idea as it will be
unpredictable to those users that need it. And I do not like
different places for md-RAID 1.x format superblocks one bit.
We should pick one thing, make it otional (but on by default)
and stick with it, so users do know where it is, regardless
of other parameters.

Regards,