[dm-crypt] The future of disk encryption with LUKS2

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Wed Feb 10 00:35:33 CET 2016

On Tue, Feb 09, 2016 at 23:08:19 CET, Lars Winterfeld wrote:
> On 08.02.2016 22:51, Milan Broz wrote:
> > [Just note to already crazy discussion here - there will be NO LUKS header
> > at the end of device. Been there with another storage project and
> > just no - it is not worth problems it causes.]
>
> Out of curiosity: what were those problems?

Same here. Not asking for a justification (if you feel
it is a mess or other problem, that is quite enough for
me), just want to understand the issue.

For proper layering, it should of course allways be

   [header, payload]

with the payload having potentially the same format
if there are more layers below. That is the tradidional
way to do it. This even has a name, but I do not remember
it at the moment.

Was the problem confusion/complexity because this
layering-sheme was violated?

Regards,