[dm-crypt] The future of disk encryption with LUKS2

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed Feb 10 16:09:08 CET 2016

Actually PARTUUID should have read PARTTYPE-GUID - So there's no reason
why moving it to a different partition should not work, updating the
PARTTYPE is a trivial step and part of a proper moving operation anyway.

Just imagine the network's linklayer had no idea which upper layer to
call, because there's no information on that. TCP/IP again does not have
that type of information.

So either the layering order is fixed and determined, or you actually
will need intra-layer relationships for proper operation. As an
alternative, leave it to the user's knowledge and handling. But then we
don't need partition tables, LUKS-headers or anything else either,
afterall you can tell each layer the geometry and parameters manually
and use dmsetup for all your tasks.

Regards

-Sven