[dm-crypt] The future of disk encryption with LUKS2

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Thu Feb 11 06:09:00 CET 2016

On 02/10/2016 09:09 AM, Sven Eschenberg wrote:
> Actually PARTUUID should have read PARTTYPE-GUID - So there's no reason
> why moving it to a different partition should not work, updating the
> PARTTYPE is a trivial step and part of a proper moving operation anyway.
>
> Just imagine the network's linklayer had no idea which upper layer to
> call, because there's no information on that. TCP/IP again does not have
> that type of information.

So, what is it that I shouldn't (or won't in the future) be able to
do, because I'm used to being able to copy a LUKS container freely
among LVM logical volumes, physical partitions, and image files
using commands like "dd if=/dev/mapper/vg00-lv00 of=/var/tmp/xx.img"
and "dd if=/var/tmp/xx.img of=/dev/sdb2" and being able to luksOpen
the LV, partition, or loop device set up on the file.

Just what constitutes a "proper moving operation"? And just where
is this "PARTTYPE" stored? There doesn't appear to be any such
field in the current LUKS on-disk format.

                 Do NOT delete it.