[dm-crypt] yet another header reconstruction question

Florian Dotzer florian.dotzer at web.de
Wed Feb 24 09:43:02 CET 2016

On 02/18/2016 02:51 AM, Florian Dotzer wrote:
>> I tried dd on files to replace the first 512 bytes of a file , but
>> the target file was completely replaced with this command :
>>
>> dd if=512_bytes_with_fixed_header of=file_with_first_64_MB_of_md0 bs=512 count=1

> When the target is a file, you need to include "conv=notrunc" so
> that the file will not be truncated to zero length when it is
> opened. That is not an issue when the target is a block device,
> but there is no harm in using "conv=notrunc" there, too.

Thanks to Bob , Arno , Sven and all others. I was able to remount
with the corrected LUKS Header .

Now I have a backup of the header and a backup of the key.

currently I am backing  up all data

Please enjoy a virtual drink of your choice ;-))

Sorry  lsblk command was not available so I cannot report any output of that.

best wishes to all , Florian