[dm-crypt] help

Ondrej Kozina okozina at redhat.com
Thu Feb 25 18:25:57 CET 2016

Hi again,

so I'm afraid you've actually found quite ugly bug in
cryptsetup-reencrypt utility. Nevertheless there's still hope for your
data because I believe the utility haven't overwritten any data. Keep
reading.

I tried to reproduce the behaviour you've experienced:

Whenever I run cryptsetup-reencrypt and try to reference the luks device
by /dev/disk/by-uuid symlink the utility fails. What is worse is fact
that after this kind of failure (which is first bug) it removed the log
file and header backup after it marked "dirty" the luks header on your
drive (which much worse)!

I'll take care of these bugs, please follow the steps Milan sent on the
list to recover your header. In fact it's not deleted only dirtied by
the reencrypt utility.

Regards
O.