[dm-crypt] Incidentaly partitioned LUKS device - header lost?

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Sat Jul 2 18:14:56 CEST 2016

Hi Bernd,

On Sat, Jul 02, 2016 at 12:42:27 CEST, Bernd Brägelmann wrote:
> Hi Arno,
>
> thanks for answering. I created the partition table within /dev/md2 and
> the raid is still working.

Ok, so we ignore the RAID.

> My current last hope is that the salt might be in a redundant part of
> the raid array.

Those will have gotten synced immediately, RAID inconsistencies
live only for as long as they are in the write queue. No hope
there.

Ok, the LUKS superblock (or what is left of it) will be at
the start of /dev/md2. Can you post the following (will
not compromise your datta, that is protected by the
passphrase(s)):

  head -c 1k /dev/md2 | hd

This allows a manual look of what is left of the LUKS header.

Regards,