[dm-crypt] LVM on LUKS: volumes missing

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Thu Jun 2 20:31:53 CEST 2016

On 06/02/2016 07:57 AM, fauno wrote:
> On 31/05/16 11:54, fauno wrote:
>> On 31/05/16 09:52, Robert Nichols wrote:
>>
>>> Take a look at the decrypted volume with "hexedit -s". It should start
>>> out with mostly binary zeros with a little data including the ASCII
>>> string "LVM2" at the start of a few of the sectors. Starting at about
>>> the 10th sector there should be a lot of ASCII text. (It's a copy of the
>>> corresponding file in /etc/lvm/backup, though without the fancy
>>> formatting.)
>>>
>>> If you're seeing random-appearing binary junk there, then the volume is
>>> not be decrypted properly. If it's just some of the early sectors that
>>> are clobbered and the text starting at the 10th sector is intact, then
>>> this should be recoverable.
>>>

>> i've tried reading `hexedit` both on the closed and opened partition and
>> everything seems to be random junk.  `strings` also can't find anything
>> resembling LVM data.
>
> i'm guessing silence means no one wants to give me the bad news :P

By any chance did you reboot into a kernel different from the one that
was running before? If so, try the old kernel. In the past, there was a
kernel change that affected a non-default LUKS option (whirlpool hash).
It's a long shot, but so is anything else at this point.

Let's look at about the only other thing that's correctable, and that
would be a damaged partition table that has the partition starting in
the wrong place. Does the output from "fdisk -l" for that drive look
reasonable? If you look at the sectors with "hexedit -s", does the
randomness start with the sector where that partition is supposed to begin?

                 Do NOT delete it.