[dm-crypt] luksFormat still spinning/hanging with large array on kernel 4.6.2

Charles Cazabon charlesc at pyropus.ca
Tue Jun 28 20:48:43 CEST 2016

Milan Broz <gmazyland at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 06/28/2016 05:01 AM, Charles Cazabon wrote:
> > I've since moved the array over to another machine, also running Wheezy with
> > the mainline 4.6.2 kernel.  cryptsetup luksFormat behaves the same there,
> > spinning forever and taking one full CPU.
[...]
> I need to verify that it is the same problem (if it is, then getrusage() call
> return all zeroed values).
[...]
> Just noticed this here - you are testing new cryptsetup binary but according
> to debug output it uses system old libcryptsetup library.
>
> Please use src/cryptsetup not directly src/.libs/cryptsetup ...

And this, indeed, fixed the problem.  luksFormat completed in normal time.
Sorry, I wasn't sure which of the built `cryptsetup` files was the one to use
(in fact, I had assumed without checking that they would be hardlinks to the
same file).

Thanks muchly for the help.  So whatever bug I hit is indeed the one you've
already fixed in newer versions.

Charles