[dm-crypt] LUKS NVMe M.2 SSD - save disklayout...

doark at mail.com doark at mail.com
Fri Mar 4 23:05:20 CET 2016

On Tue, 1 Mar 2016 19:18:12 Sven Eschenberg wrote:
> While this is off-topic for this list, if you want to include all data
> look at tools like partimage or projects like clonezilla?
>
> If you just want to backup the metadata of all layers in the storage
> stack, I'm not aware of any tool for this task.
>
> Am 01.03.2016 um 13:50 schrieb Sumaya1960 at gmx.de:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I just wonder, if anyone knows how to save the complete
> > disklayout/disk partititions for restoring the partitions with the
> > same layout and UUIDs on another disk.
> > To establish a disatser recovery plan is the goal of my question.
> > I am using a NVMe M.2 SSD from Samsung. There you see /dev/nvme0n1 and
> > it's partitions....
> >
> > Any ideas and help would be wonderful!
> > Thanks to everybody!!!!
> > Susu

AFAIK UUIDs are unique to the device and to the partition. You can't
back them up or restore them to any device. If I'm wrong on this please
say so, I'm willing to be wrong.
Also, it seems to me that a backup solution for encrypted data should
backup and compress the unencrypted data and then reencrypt it. Your free
to do the backup of the whole encrypted partition though.

Sincerely, David