[dm-crypt] Failed to setup dm-crypt key mapping for device cryptfile.

Nicolas Bock nicolasbock at gmail.com
Mon Mar 28 07:16:31 CEST 2016

Hi,

cryptsetup fails on a new OS install for some reason, and I can't
figure out what is missing. What I see is the following:

$ dd if=/dev/zero bs=1M count=1 of=cryptfile
$ sudo cryptsetup -v luksFormat cryptfile

WARNING!
========
This will overwrite data on cryptfile irrevocably.

Are you sure? (Type uppercase yes): YES
Enter passphrase:
Verify passphrase:
Failed to setup dm-crypt key mapping for device cryptfile.
Check that kernel supports aes-xts-plain64 cipher (check syslog for more info).
Command failed with code 22: Failed to setup dm-crypt key mapping for
device cryptfile.
Check that kernel supports aes-xts-plain64 cipher (check syslog for more info).

Neither dmesg nor journalctl shows anything in the logs that seems to
be related to this failure. As far as I can tell all cryptographic API
modules are included in the kernel. How can I go about debugging this
further?

Thanks already,

Nick