[dm-crypt] A couple of strings that could be reviewed

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Sat May 21 14:36:10 CEST 2016

On 20 May 2016 05:24 -0300, from rffontenelle at gmail.com (Rafael Fontenelle):
> First is "Cannot open device %s\n", in file src/cryptsetup_reencrypt.c,
> line 154.  I believe a full stop/period punctuation would be welcome in
> there, since other messages nearby have it. Please take a look in the
> catalog messsages file (a.k.a translation file).

I disagree, at least given how the message is written now. (It could
in principle be rewritten so that this doesn't apply.) It's a small
detail, but because the message _ends_ with something that is to be
taken literally (in this case, the name of the problematic device),
adding additional characters at the end can potentially be confusing,
and I don't see doing so leading to significantly increased
readability. In other words, a potential loss of precision for no gain
in usability. That seems to me like a poor trade-off.

It's a bit like the old example: _The default password is "abcdefgh."_
Based only on that information, what exactly is the default password:
does it have a period at the end or not? Where does the sentence that
makes that statement end?

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se