[dm-crypt] /sbin/cryptsetup: not found on boot after Grub repair - manual mounting works

Aaron lists at whitehouse.kiwi.nz
Sat May 21 16:14:04 CEST 2016

Hello,

I would really appreciate any help to make my system boot properly
again. I can manually mount my encrypted partitions and they unlock
correctly, so I'm pretty sure that I haven't lost my data, but something
that used to work in the Ubuntu 16.04 boot process to unlock and boot
the partitions must have broken, as whenever I boot now, typing my
password no longer unlocks and boots Ubuntu. Instead it says:
“cryptsetup: cryptsetup failed, bad password or options?”

If I press escape and get to the console output, it says:
/scripts/local-top/cryptroot: line 1: /sbin/cryptsetup: not found over
and over.

In case the history is relevant, I recently had to reinstall Windows on
a dual-boot machine. That meant that I had to use boot repair to get my
Grub back. I now have what seems to be a working Grub, but when I boot
into Ubuntu and enter my password into the “Please unlock disk
sda6_crypt”, it fails as described.
http://paste.ubuntu.com/16443425/
was the output of the boot-repair reconfiguration of Grub.

I booted in with a live CD and chrooted into my installation. I did an
apt-get update and apt-get upgrade and I see the following in the
output:
Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.122ubuntu8) ...
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-4.4.0-22-generic
device-mapper: table ioctl on sda6_crypt failed: No such device or
address
Command failed
cryptsetup: WARNING: failed to determine cipher modules to load for
sda6_crypt

I asked for help here:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/cryptsetup/+question/293750
but nobody has had any ideas so far.

Any ideas would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Kind regards,

Aaron