[dm-crypt] /sbin/cryptsetup: not found on boot after Grub repair - manual mounting works

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Sun May 22 03:34:45 CEST 2016

Hi there,

This seems to be the relevant part:
device-mapper: table ioctl on sda6_crypt failed: No such device or address
Command failed
cryptsetup: WARNING: failed to determine cipher modules to load for
sda6_crypt

It basically tells you your cryptodevice is missing and thus no info
could be grabbed which in turn does not include cryptsetup etc. into
your initramfs.

When booting into the live system, unlock and mount your stuff before
chrooting and make sure that all the mapper names are EXACTLY as
expected by mkinitramfs (update-initramfs). ESP: Consult your crypttab
file to find the name. Once the mapped device (as noted in crypttab) can
be found running update-initramfs should work and include everything
that is needed.

Regards

-Sven

P.S.: If I am not mistaken your mapping is supposed to be called
sda6_crypt, while bootrepair gave it a UUID-based name. So you'll
probably have to work this through manually, I guess.