[dm-crypt] /sbin/cryptsetup: not found on boot after Grub repair - manual mounting works

Sven Eschenberg sven at whgl.uni-frankfurt.de
Wed May 25 21:25:15 CEST 2016

You are welcome.

Blame it on bad documentation. Figuring this out just by reading the
error message is a pretty tough one ;-). Simply put: update-initramfs
expects to be run in a chroot that exactly matches the system after a
normal boot (this is not limited to cryptsetup), otherwise automagic
fails hard during detection and creates major desaster.

Regards

-Sven