[dm-crypt] Missing keyslot or broken header or still some hope?

Zero Tonin zero.tonin at web.de
Thu Nov 3 21:58:30 CET 2016

Hi Michael,

thank you very much for your response, I appreciate your time and willingnes to help a stranger!

 Below I will paste the output of --debug a well as, in case it provides usefull information, the output of sfdisk -l for the partitions on the drive.

 Again, thank you ever so much, please do let me know if there is any further detail or informaion I could provide to hopefulyl be bale  to recover this.

 Kind rgeards,
 Mark
(I was unaware this mailing list is a "clear name" environemt, sorry for the anonymity in my first mail)

user at debian:~$ sudo /sbin/sfdisk -l

Disk /dev/sda: 77825 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
sfdisk: Warning: extended partition does not start at a cylinder boundary.
DOS and Linux will interpret the contents differently.
Units: cylinders of 8225280 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

   Device Boot Start     End   #cyls    #blocks   Id  System
/dev/sda1   *      0+     31-     31-    248832   83  Linux
/dev/sda2         31+  77825-  77795- 624880641    5  Extended
/dev/sda3          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
/dev/sda4          0       -       0          0    0  Empty
/dev/sda5         31+  77825-  77795- 624880640   83  Linux

user at debian:~$ sudo cryptsetup --debug luksOpen /dev/sda5 crypt1
# cryptsetup 1.6.6 processing "cryptsetup --debug luksOpen /dev/sda5 crypt1"
# Running command open.
# Locking memory.
# Installing SIGINT/SIGTERM handler.
# Unblocking interruption on signal.
# Allocating crypt device /dev/sda5 context.
# Trying to open and read device /dev/sda5.
# Initialising device-mapper backend library.
# Trying to load LUKS1 crypt type from device /dev/sda5.
# Crypto backend (gcrypt 1.6.3) initialized.
# Detected kernel Linux 3.16.0-4-amd64 x86_64.
# Reading LUKS header of size 1024 from device /dev/sda5
# Key length 64, device size 1249761280 sectors, header size 4036 sectors.
# Timeout set to 0 miliseconds.
# Password retry count set to 3.
# Password verification disabled.
# Iteration time set to 1000 miliseconds.
# Activating volume crypt1 [keyslot -1] using [none] passphrase.
# dm version   OF   [16384] (*1)
# dm versions   OF   [16384] (*1)
# Detected dm-crypt version 1.13.0, dm-ioctl version 4.27.0.
# Device-mapper backend running with UDEV support enabled.
# dm status crypt1  OF   [16384] (*1)
# Interactive passphrase entry requested.
Enter passphrase for /dev/sda5:
# Trying to open key slot 0 [ACTIVE_LAST].
# Reading key slot 0 area.
# Using userspace crypto wrapper to access keyslot area.
# Trying to open key slot 1 [INACTIVE].
# Trying to open key slot 2 [INACTIVE].
# Trying to open key slot 3 [INACTIVE].
# Trying to open key slot 4 [INACTIVE].