[dm-crypt] Missing keyslot or broken header or still some hope?

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Sat Nov 5 11:47:58 CET 2016

On 5 Nov 2016 11:16 +0100, from htd+ml at fritha.org (Heinz Diehl):
>> I _strongly_ recommend ddrescue over dd; ddrescue is far better suited
>> for this use case. It also gives you a nice progress indication while
>> it is working.
>
> FWIW: You can also get dd to show transfer statistics by using the
> "status=progress" flag.

IMO, that's not worth much compared to dd's greater shortcoming when
dealing with marginal media: Even when running with conv=noerror, as
is often suggested, dd will simply skip over any unreadable parts in
the input, which will cause any relative or absolute offsets which
cross that boundary, and any absolute offsets referring to after the
problematic portion, come after it to be wrong. ddrescue is meant to
be used with potentially marginal media and thus has better handling
of that situation.

Or so I've been told.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se