[dm-crypt] Missing keyslot or broken header or still some hope?

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Sat Nov 5 11:54:38 CET 2016

On 5 Nov 2016 08:56 +0100, from zero.tonin at web.de:
> I hope this is due to the insufficient size on the drive.

Unfortunately, that particular explanation is highly unlikely. The
LUKS header is right at the beginning of the drive (with default
settings I believe it occupies the first MiB and change); there is no
LUKS metadata elsewhere. Truncating the data on the drive near the end
would be far more likely to lead to file system driver confusion or
plain corrupted data within the file system than problems with the
LUKS container.

That said, working on a copy while trying to troubleshoot storage
problems is _never_ a bad idea.

Oh, and please do trim your posts. Every list post is archived; we
don't need them repeated in every reply.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se