[dm-crypt] pashphrase management question

ClEmFoster clemfoster at lookafish.com
Wed Oct 26 18:43:18 CEST 2016

hello,

The setup:

I work in an environment that has a whole disk encryption requirement for
VMs.  If the VM is restarted an admin has to hit the console and type in
the passphrase to boot.  This is OK, we don't reboot much, and security
guys are happy.  The problem is they are going to start requiring that
these machines also receive a passphrase change every 3 or 6 months.  That
brings me to the question.

cryptsetup for luks requires an existing passphrase to add/change another.
 Physical interaction to change passphrase is not very realistic for 100+
machines.  Ideally I would like to change the password via an automated
system.  Currently we are evaluating Chef, Ansible, and Puppet, has anyone
here been able to manage luks passphrases over many machines?  If so some
friendly guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Travis