[dm-crypt] Questions on LUKS

Ruiz, Edwin eruiz03 at harris.com
Wed Sep 21 14:09:44 CEST 2016

To whom it may concern,

I will be implementing the use of dmcrypt-LUKS on a project I am work on, but I need explicit verbage of some features that I cannot find answers to.

1.       When LUKS is applied to a partition of a drive, is decrypted data only stored in memory and never written back to the drive (unencrypted).

2.       Is there any caching of decrypted data; If accessed again, is it read from memory or decrypted again?

3.       What are the implications of a system that is shut down (powerloss, critical failure, etc.) without the command "lucksClose" issued to an encrypted device?

Respectfully,

Edwin Ruiz
Systems Administrator, VCS21
Critical Networks / HARRIS CORPORATION