[dm-crypt] Detached header offset

Arno Wagner arno at wagner.name
Thu Apr 13 15:36:18 CEST 2017

Hi Theo,

since it is a detached header, you could probably do a mapping
to file from the raw sectors, using losetup like this

  losetup -o offset --sizelimit <header size>  /dev/loop0 <dev_raw_disk>

and then use that as the file-argument for the detached header.

I would say that this is exceedingly "hackish" and probably
asking for a lot of potentially painful problems.

You could probably also (even worse idea) use LVM to combine
the sectors for the header and the ones for the data into a
complete LUKS device (i.e. no detached header in the final thing).

Regards,
Arno