[dm-crypt] Failure to encrypt a big disk - missing kernel module?

Milan Broz gmazyland at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 16:39:35 CEST 2017

On 04/14/2017 04:10 PM, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm new in this mail list, but I have been using encrypted disks on Linux for many years.
>
> But this time I get when trying to initalize a 4TB partition (on openSUSE Leap 42.2):
>

> Isengard:~ # time cryptsetup luksFormat /dev/sdc2

[601377.447317] device-mapper: table: 254:2: crypt: Device lookup failed

This is probably the problem - something is wrong with /dev/sdc2.
Check if you can access that partition (old partition table? already used?).

Also output of lsblk command could help.

(device-mapper ioctl error reporting is limited, we can usually just guess
what is wrong, so the userspace message is here perhaps misleading)

Anyway, if reporting cryptsetup problems, please always post command output
with added --debug switch. There is a lot of info that is required to analyse
problems.