[dm-crypt] Computer locking up on heavy disk IO

heinrich5991 at gmail.com heinrich5991 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 1 12:25:20 CEST 2017

On 08/01/17 11:57, Arno Wagner wrote:
> Maybe your disk is dying or your CPU is inadequately cooled?
> Or there is something else putting high load on your machine?
>
> Regards,
> Arno

Disk dying is unlikely, the disk is new. Also the following command
works fine for clearing the the disk with random data, it averages out
at ~130MiB/s:

openssl enc -aes-256-ctr -pass pass:"$(dd if=/dev/urandom bs=128 count=1
2>/dev/null | base64)" -nosalt < /dev/zero | pv -s "$(blockdev
--getsize64 /dev/sdX)" > /dev/sdX

(with sdX replaced by the correct device).

I don't know how to determine whether the CPU is inadequately cooled.

Thanks for your answer.