[dm-crypt] cryptsetup-reencrypt additional options

Perry Thompson contact at ryper.org
Thu Aug 3 06:17:46 CEST 2017

Hello there,

I had a quick question about the possibility of getting additional
features added to cryptsetup-reencrypt. This may be asking for too much
and I might be better off getting a second drive, putting LUKS on it,
and transferring my files to it instead, but I thought I would ask
anyways.

I have a drive with LUKS set up on it. The LUKS header is on a USB
drive, and my data has an offset of 4096 512-byte sectors.

I was looking to encrypt a non-encrypted drive that I have on another
machine. I was thinking of using cryptsetup-reencrypt, however because
I have a detached header and an offset for the data, the current
cryptsetup-reencrypt wouldn't work for me.

Would maybe adding --align-payload and --header options be something
that might be possible? Even having a way to have it put the header at
the start of the disk and use up those "free" 2MiB where my GPT stuff
is, I could then manually extract the header and then overwrite it
later.

I was just curious on thoughts about adding such options to the
program, although now that I'm typing all of this out, I'm thinking
that getting a second drive and copying the data to a freshly-encrypted
drive might save me a lot of hassle.

Thank you for taking the time to read this.