[dm-crypt] LUKS2 resizing

Ondrej Kozina okozina at redhat.com
Mon Dec 18 10:30:35 CET 2017

On 12/14/2017 08:22 PM, Andrius Štikonas wrote:
> So if I understand correctly it will never ask for passphrase in LUKS1
> case but it will always ask in LUKS2 case.

Not always for every LUKS2 device. It will always ask for a passphrase
if the volume key is passed via kernel keyring (hence the cryptsetup
status cmd for detection).

LUKS1 devices doesn't use kernel keyring for volume key (backward
compatibility)

LUKS2 devices use kernel keyring for volume key by default, but user may
have overridden the default by --disable-keyring option during
cryptsetup open command.

Regards
Ondrej