[dm-crypt] mistake with luksFormat

A. Kapetanovic aka at alphanet.ch
Sat Dec 23 11:49:22 CET 2017

Hi everybody,

I did something wrong, can please someone help me ? I followed these
instructions to encrypt a internal HDD :

https://www.cyberciti.biz/hardware/howto-linux-hard-disk-encryption-with-
luks-cryptsetup-command/

Unfortunately I did

cryptsetup -y -v luksFormat /dev/sdb

and not

cryptsetup -y -v luksFormat /dev/sdb1

After that I used fdisk to create sdb1 and did

cryptsetup -y -v luksFormat /dev/sdb1
cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdb1 prod

and

pv -tpreb /dev/zero | dd of=/dev/mapper/prod bs=128M

all this I did through ssh

but :

1. After a time my shell was frozen. Perhaps has ssh a timer ?
2. My HDD did repetitive noises several hours (now that has stopped), even
after a reboot.

So, my question please : have I to do something to erase what I did with

cryptsetup -y -v luksFormat /dev/sdb

And what is it ?

Have I to do something more, or were the noises of the HDD simple my

pv -tpreb /dev/zero | dd of=/dev/mapper/prod bs=128M

command, even if

ps -a | grep dd

didn't display anything ?

Thanks, best regards,