[dm-crypt] mistake with luksFormat

David Christensen dpchrist at holgerdanske.com
Sun Dec 24 03:04:20 CET 2017

On 12/23/17 11:23, Michael Kjörling wrote:
> On 23 Dec 2017 11:49 +0100, from aka at alphanet.ch (A. Kapetanovic):
>> 2. My HDD did repetitive noises several hours (now that has
>> stopped), even after a reboot.
>
> It's hard to diagnose simply based on "repetitive noises", but unless
> you took specific steps to do otherwise, anything done by the pv | dd
> command should have stopped no later than when you rebooted the
>
> I suggest checking the SMART data to see how the drive is reporting
> its own health. "smartctl --attributes /dev/sdb" as root should be a
> start. In the SMART attributes list, look closely at any attribute
> where the "VALUE" is close to "THRESH", or where "WHEN_FAILED" says
> anything other than "-".
>
> Other than that, I concur with Arno's analysis that it was likely just
> a coincidence, possibly triggered by heavy I/O but unrelated to LUKS
> as such.

Many HDD manufacturers release diagnostic tools for their products.  For
example, Seagate "Seatools":

     https://www.seagate.com/support/downloads/seatools/

I prefer bootable CD images, but some manufacturers only offer Windows
executables.

I suggest that you get the tool for your HDD and run it to find out if
your HDD is having problems.

David