[dm-crypt] Question about how data is read using dm-crypt

박마루한 mrpark at pentasecurity.com
Tue Feb 21 02:34:13 CET 2017

Hello,

When I activate a volume using cryptsetup, I have the following:

1. Original image file 2. Block device from the image file 3. Image file
that was created using cryptsetup

Then, you would make another block device from number 3.

Now, here's where I am confused.

I assume when you mount and write to the block device from the last step.
I assume that this will cause writes to the file in number 3, which then
cause writes to number 2 and 1.

But when you read, do you just simply read from number 3? Or are you
actually reading from number 1?