[dm-crypt] Decrypting a drive; says a correct password is "incorrect"

Robert Nichols rnicholsNOSPAM at comcast.net
Fri Jan 6 16:57:49 CET 2017

On 01/04/2017 08:34 PM, K Mmmm wrote:
> Using a platter switch, I was able to copy most of the data to a new
> hard disk. Fortunately, *there _does_ appear to be a valid version
> of /_a_ /LUKS header still intact.* However, the password I was
> using isn't working.

Did "most of the data" include the entire ~2MB LUKS header? You need at least the first 256KB to get all the stripes of the first keyslot. If that data is not all bit-for-bit perfect, the master key cannot be recovered and your data cannot be decrypted. You can look at section 4.2 of the cryptsetup FAQ at <https://gitlab.com/cryptsetup/cryptsetup/wikis/FrequentlyAskedQuestions#4-troubleshooting> for information on how to build and run a keyslot checker that can test for obvious damage to the keyslots ("obvious" meaning "data with low entropy appearing in places that should appear random").

> I think the partition layout might be relevant, as there is only a 2
> space between the EXT and Linux partitions.

Your partition layout is fine. Logical partitions (numbers 5 and higher) exist within the extended partition. All that is needed is space for the 1-sector extended partition header before the start of partition 5.

                 Do NOT delete it.