[dm-crypt] Can I test for LUKS passphrase strength without formatting a device?

Jan Tulak jtulak at redhat.com
Tue Nov 7 17:51:38 CET 2017

Hi

Is it possible to test whether a passphrase is strong enough (and
luksFormat will accept it), without the need to really create a device
with this passphrase? I ask because I want to test the password before
I run a sequence of commands and I don't want them to fail in the
middle just because of a weak passphrase.

I checked for the --test-passphrase, but that verifies if the
passphrase would decrypt an existing device, which is not what I want.

Thanks,
Jan