[dm-crypt] timeout issue

David B davidmberten at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 05:11:48 CET 2017

Hello,

I'm having an issue with the timeout not working during boot or at the
prompt.
Ubuntu 14.04.5 LTS
Cryptsetup 1.6.1-1

I've added an entry in /etc/fstab and in /etc/crypttab so I can type a
password during boot to mount the partitions. This works well. Problem is,
if I don't type a password the system ignores the timeout and will wait
indefinitely (system won't boot). I've noticed that the timeout is no
longer an option in the /etc/crypttab, So I've tried editing the cryptsetup
when creating the encrypted FS with the commands below.

cryptsetup --verify-passphrase --timeout 120 luksFormat /dev/sdd1
cryptsetup -y -t 120 luksFormat /dev/sdd1

The timeout doesn't work with either. They create the FS fine, but the
timeout is ignored. I'm wondering if I'm doing something incorrect or if
it's a bug.

Thanks,