[dm-crypt] cryptsetup --veracrypt opens legacy TrueCrypt volumes

segfault segfault at riseup.net
Tue Oct 10 22:42:38 CEST 2017

Hi,

I'm currently working on integrating support for unlocking VeraCrypt and
TrueCrypt via udisks and GNOME Disks. I just noticed that if the
cryptsetup unlock function is called with the VeraCrypt option, it also
tries the legacy TrueCrypt modes in addition to the VeraCrypt modes. As
a result, it is possible to unlock legacy TrueCrypt volumes even if the
VeraCrypt option is used. This makes things easier for me, because I
don't have to ask the user to tell me if the volume is VeraCrypt or
TrueCrypt. I just want to make sure: Is this expected behavior and can I
rely on this staying this way?

Cheers!