[dm-crypt] problems mounting encrypted drive on reboot

Michael Kjörling michael at kjorling.se
Thu Sep 21 09:25:25 CEST 2017

On 20 Sep 2017 15:38 -0700, from jlowry at edt.com (Jerry Lowry):
> I have created an encrypted drive using the following commands:
>
> #>cryptsetup --verify=passphrase -- hash=sha256 --keyfile=/dir/file
> create /dev/mapper/testcui /dev/sdb

If that's what you _really_ did, I'm pretty sure it can't have worked.
The newline notwithstanding, whitespace still matters, and there is no
--verify parameter (you probably meant to use --verify-passphrase).

> Sep 20 14:19:53 jubilee systemd[1]: Starting Cryptography Setup for
> /dev/mapper/testcui...
> -- Subject: Unit systemd-cryptsetup at -dev-mapper-testcui.service has
> begun start-up
> -- Defined-By: systemd
> -- Support: http://lists.freedesktop.org/mailman/listinfo/systemd-devel

At a minimum, run cryptsetup directly (not through systemd) with the
--debug flag and post back with the output thus obtained.

Michael Kjörling • https://michael.kjorling.semichael at kjorling.se