[dm-crypt] mistake with luksFormat

H McCurdy hmccurdy at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 1 22:35:16 CET 2018

Unfortunately, it appears your HDD coincidentally failed and is effectively dead.  If it's new enough, it could be a warranty replacement.  If not, I fear that it is garbage.  Point is, you did nothing to break the drive.  You encountered bad luck.  (Or perhaps good luck as the drive would have failed soon anyway with data which you would have lost.)