[dm-crypt] mounting luks-encrypted external drive without root access

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 17:24:42 CET 2010

2010/12/1  <nimiezko at mailoo.org>:
> Hello,
>
> In fstab there is an option "user" which allows non-root users to mount the
> designed FS.
> It's useful for removable media.
>
> How can I allow a user to "cryptsetup" some predetermined drive ?
> Any option in crypttab ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

nautilus (gnome file manager) is showing my non-mounted luks drives and
a double click on this entry asks me for a password and mount it.

but that is only maybe a solution if you use gnome/nautilus and your nautilus
probably has to be compiled with luks support and your HAL daemon has
to support it.