[dm-crypt] cryptsetup won't accept password after normal reboot

Ma Begaj derliebegott at gmail.com
Fri Feb 5 15:48:13 CET 2010

2010/2/5 wucherpfennig <studhalter.daniel at bluewin.ch>:
> Am 04.02.2010 14:49, schrieb Arno Wagner:
>>
>> On Thu, Feb 04, 2010 at 10:21:26AM +0000, wucherpfennig wrote:
>>>
>>> First: I'm sorry for this strange topic behaviour, but I don't know how
>>> write real answers (I tried in the test list, but didn't work either).

>>> No. It was a fully working installtion. I wouldn't car that much about
>>> this problem, but I wanted to backup my stuff last weeekend (old backup
>>> was messed up). So basicly I'm standing here without any backup from the
>>> last few years...
>>
>> So you unlocked it sucessfully a number of times and suddenly
>> this does not work anymore? Any changes, like a different
>> keyboard?
>
> Yes and No, I didn't change anything... Thats why I think it has to be
> something with the keyboard...

>>> I had the same idea last night. although my password is about 20
>>> characters long a brute force attack shouldn't take too long, because
>>> there are 4 special Chars [eg ()_-] and 8 numbers. Letters shouldn't be
>>> the problem, numbers too...
>>
>> Letters, except 'y' and 'z'. Numbers should be the same.
>> Specials you will have to try some alternatives.
>>
>> Sounds doable.
>>
>> Arno
>
> I avoided y z, so there should be no problem... Any suggestions how to go on
> further?

Why don't you made a custom initrd image which would print out what
you type to be sure that you use right password. You just need to
catch password with "read" and print it out.

I have such an image somewhere and I could send/modify it if you are
not able to make it yourself. You would just need to put in your
lilo.conf or whatever boot manager you use.