[dm-crypt] How to optimise encrypted filesystems on an SSD?

mark mark at aktivix.org
Sat Feb 6 00:48:15 CET 2010

Hi there.

For a while I've been using LUKS/dm-crypt with LVM2 to secure hard
drives in laptops and servers. Recently I've moved one of my filesystems
onto a solid-state drive (Intel X25-M-G2 80GB with latest firmware).

There are some excellent instructions here
http://thunk.org/tytso/blog/2009/02/20/aligning-filesystems-to-an-ssds-erase-block-size/
on how to align ext4 and LVM to the erase block size of the SSD. However
I've not been able to find a recipe for optimising an encrypted
filesystem in the same way.

A typical usage case for me would be this, from following defaults for
encrypted lvm on the Debian installer:

/dev/sda1 79GB crypt-luks
/dev/mapper/sda1_crypt holds PV for LVM2
     PV has a VG with two LVs, 4GB swap and the rest for ext4 /
/dev/sda5 256MB ext2 /boot

Could anyone explain how I might go about aligning/optimising this, or
point me to some instructions? Am I better putting lvm over luks or luks
over lvm? Or something entirely different?

Thanks in advance,
Mark