[dm-crypt] Help! Command failed: /dev/sdd1 is not a LUKS partition

M Thomas Frederiksen mahasamoot at gmail.com
Wed Feb 10 18:43:55 CET 2010

On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:14, Arno Wagner <arno at wagner.name> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 12:00:39PM -0500, M Thomas Frederiksen wrote:
>
> There is no "drive unlocking", what happens is that a new
> device is created which just happens to contain a decrypted
> version of the encrypted one. They are not associated in any
> way (except by an LVM mapping that is typically not understood
> by applications).
>

> So either there is a corresponding device in /dev/mapper or
> not, btrfs does not care where the device comes from. And
> if you have not done the cryptsetup, then there is no device
> in /dev/mapper and btrfs cannot use a non-existent device.

The point is that once the other volumes are added, btrfs will need three
devices in /dev/mapper:

   1. /dev/mapper/sda3_crypt
   2. /dev/mapper/sdb2_crypt
   3. /dev/mapper/sdc2_crypt

However, during the boot process, /dev/mapper/sda3_crypt is the only device
being created.  If I do a blkid, I get:

/dev/mapper/sda3_crypt: UUID="e0948aa0-efab-4449-938d-6d74b6ccbf93"
UUID_SUB="b3b1e4cc-ca0e-44ba-be35-32405b20025b" TYPE="btrfs"

So would I change the fstab from:

/dev/mapper/sda3_crypt / btrfs error=remount-ro,compress 0 1

to:

UUID_SUB=b3b1e4cc-ca0e-44ba-be35-32405b20025b / btrfs
error=remount-ro,compress 0 1

?  Would that be the same UUID_SUB for other /dev/mapper/sdX_crypts?  And
would grub / boot scripts be smart enough to figure out that it needs all
three device files?

--
Cheers,
~Thomas

Samuel Goldwyn<http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/s/samuel_goldwyn.html>
- "I'm willing to admit that I may not always be right, but I am never
wrong."