[dm-crypt] configuration files

Selim Levy sjtlevy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 05:42:40 CET 2010

Hi,

Thank you very much for your help.  I'm almost there, I think.

On 20 February 2010 03:55, Jonas Meurer <jonas at freesources.org> wrote:

> hey sven,
>
> On 17/02/2010 Selim Levy wrote:
> > The cause:
> > During the CD installation of debian, the debian installer associates the
> > external hard drive to /dev/sdb.  However, following the installation,
> when
> > I boot *from* the external hard drive, the system associates it with
> > /dev/sda.  So essentially, I'm installing linux (and dm-crypt and
> everything
> > else) to /dev/sdb, though it will then be called /dev/sda when I boot
> from
> > it.
> >
> > The question:
> > I've already made the necessary changes to GRUB and the /boot partition
> is
> > booting properly -- I can get a busybox prompt -- but I'm unable to
> continue
> > booting into the root partition.  Where are the files on /boot located
> that
> > must be changed in order for the boot partition to properly deal with the
> > dm-crypt encrypted LVM volume group?  I have already found the
> > conf/conf.d/cryptroot file within my initrd image and have modified both
> > lines in it.  (One line is for the root partition, the other for swap.)
> > I've modified the 'target=' and the 'source=' entries (on both llines) to
> > show 'sda3' as opposed to the original 'sdb3'.  What else must be
> changed?
>
> you need to change both /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab on the rescue
> system, and maybe even /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/resume.
> afterwards you'll have to regenerate the initramfs image. the best way
> to do so is to:
> - unlock and mount the rootfs of your rescue system to /mnt/rescue
> - copy /proc/modules, /proc/cmdline and /proc/devices to
>  /mnt/rescue/proc
> - bind-mount /dev to /mnt/rescue/dev: 'mount -o bind /dev /mnt/rescue/dev'
> - chroot into /mnt/rescue/dev
> - modify /proc/cmdline, /etc/crypttab and /etc/fstab
> - run 'update-initramfs -u'

Just in case I had screwed things up myself prior to your reply and my new
attempts, I reinstalled Debian lenny onto the external USB drive (which I
call "rescue" or "external").

I booted back into my internal drive and attempted all of your
recommendations on the external drive:

<output for following omitted because no errors>
# cryptsetup luksOpen /dev/sdc3 rescue
# vgchange -a y rescue
# mount /dev/rescue/rooto /mnt/RootRescue/
# mount /dev/sdc2 /mnt/RootRescue/boot/
# mount -o bind /dev /mnt/RootRescue/dev

However, when I get to updating my initramfs, I get the following error:

# chroot /mnt/RootRescue/ /usr/sbin/update-initramfs -u
update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-2.6.26-2-amd64
cryptsetup: WARNING: invalid line in /etc/crypttab -
cryptsetup: WARNING: invalid line in /etc/crypttab -

The contents of the rescue's /etc/crypttab, for which I've tried various
things is:
# cat crypttab
sdb3_crypt /dev/sdb3 none luks

I wonder whether my problem is related to which drive gets /dev/sdx
designation based upon which one booted.  When booted on my usual/internal
drive and with /dev still bind-mounted (above), I have
/mnt/RootRescue/dev/sda and ..../sdc well populated.  Nothing about sdb.
When I try to boot from the external drive, I get lots of sdb output
(particularly if I boot into "rescue" mode).  Don't know if that helps
any...

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Cheers,